Pre-employment functionals assist in minimising work related injuries.
A pre-employment functional is an evaluation of an individual’s physical capacity to safely perform the demands of a certain job. In our experience, pre-employment functionals provide maximum benefit when based upon the specific physical requirements of an applicant’s proposed role.
How it Works
KINNECT offer a standard pre-employment functional which includes the following testing:
- Par-Q Questionnaire – this is a physical activity readiness questionnaire which ascertains whether the candidate is fit to perform a functional. Indicators include whether the candidate is currently experiencing chest pain, dizziness or other health concerns that may preclude them from testing.
- Height, Weight, BMI and Blood Pressure
- Grip Strength – grip strength is measured in kilograms with both left and right hands tested. The result is dependent on the candidate’s biological gender and is compared to the grip strength norms for their age.
- Musculoskeletal Special Tests
- Postural Tolerances – maintaining a (balanced) kneel and squat for 30 seconds or greater
- Cardiovascular Fitness Step Test – 3 minutes with a step height of 30.5cm
- Lifting – floor to shoulder (4 reps)
- Carrying – waist to waist (2 reps x 20m)
- Job Specific Testing
Job specific testing can be developed upon review of your company’s existing job dictionaries or job task analyses. In the event that a job dictionary is not available, KINNECT can work in consultation with you to develop one. Click here to learn more about how a job dictionary can assist in injury prevention and management.
Benefits of pre-employment functional testing include:
- Hire the right candidate – identify a candidate’s ability to perform physical aspects of the role; minimising the risk of workplace injury
- Meet OHS legislative requirements – greater focus on assessing an individual’s specific ability to safely perform the role
- Validity and reliability – greater validity and reliability with regards to testing components and procedures
- Identify risk – improved identification of functional deficits that can be appropriately managed should you wish to pursue employment
Pre-Employment Functional - KINNECT Clinic
$190.00 + GST
Pre-Employment Functional - Affiliate Clinic
$330.00 + GST
How long does a Pre-Employment Functional assessment take?
Depending on the level of assessment, most pre-employment functionals take between 30 and 60 minutes to perform the tasks. A pre-employment medical assessment can be undertaken at the same time if required.
Who performs the Pre-Employment Functional assessment?
Tertiary qualified and registered Allied Health Professionals:
- Occupational Therapists
- Accredited Exercise Physiologists