Pre-Start Stretching Programs
As a means of further lowering the potential for soft tissue injury, KINNECT has developed ‘SmartStretch’, an onsite pre-start warm up program for employees. This program incorporates stretches and exercises that are specific to the job demands and work related discomforts experienced by workers. The program is delivered in small groups of 10-20 people and is comprised of a small theory component but a large practical component to ensure practical behaviour change where appropriate. ‘Stretch Champions’ are selected and these individuals receive additional training so that they can conduct the stretching program daily thereby ensuring the programs durability.
Pre-Start Warm Up Programs incorporate stretches that are specific to the job demands and work related discomforts of those involved. KINNECT’s stretching programs…..
- The development of a Job Specific Pre-Start Stretching Program to be delivered to all current MMM employee’s (currently 30 employees total);
- Pre-Start Stretching Program to be delivered in groups of approximately 8-10 people whereby there is a small theory component but a larger practical component to ensure practical behaviour change where appropriate;
- ‘Care and Maintenance’ approach following delivery of Stretching Program to ensure the programs permanence (KINNECT returning to site and performing a review of program on a set pre-determined basis e.g. quarterly);
- The separate training of selected individuals (i.e. ‘Champions’) to conduct Stretching Program daily following training thereby ensuring the programs durability;
- The development of posters and pocket cards depicting stretches and correct ergonomic procedures;
To reinforce the benefits of both the Stretching Programs and Manual Handling Workshops, KINNECT have developed awareness material to be distributed to workers, further encouraging behavioural change.